Joseph Romero is an Albuquerque, New Mexico injury attorney that will put his experience as a former insurance attorney to work for you. If you were injured in a car accident, slip and fall, or other type of accident, Joseph Romero will help you get the compensation you deserve. If you have a friend or loved one who has suffered a wrongful death due to the negligence of another, Joseph Romero will help your family get the compensation you deserve.

One of the most typical ways in which New Mexicans are injured is a car accident. Even what may seem to be a minor accident to a bystander can cause serious and painful injuries. These injuries can linger and you might not even feel their full effects for a day or two. Here are a few tips that can be useful if you are in a car accident.

Immediately following the Accident

  • Stay put and call the police. Even if your car is still operable and you don't feel injured, it is never a good idea to leave the scene of an accident without informing the authorities.
  • If there are any witnesses, get their contact information. You may need it later.
  • If possible, get the contact information, vehicle information and insurance information of the other drivers involved in the accident.
  • Take photographs with your cell phone. These photographs as well as the contact information of witnesses can be very important if the facts surrounding the accident are later disputed by the other driver and their insurance company.

Within a day or two after the accident

  • Contact your insurance company. They will ask you questions and likely want you to give a recorded statement about how the accident occurred. If you are offered money to settle a claim, do not accept until you speak with an attorney.
  • Seek medical attention.  Even if you don't feel too bad or feel as though your pain is subsiding, it is better to get checked out and be sure. There are a lot of injuries that won't show up on an x-ray taken at the emergency room or urgent care center. If your pain does not go away or gets worse be sure to schedule an appointment with your doctor.
  • Contact an attorney. You are likely going to have questions about a potential claim, what sort of damages you can recover and how you might pay for additional medical treatment.

If you or someone you know was injured, whether in a car accident or some other type of accident, call me today to discuss how I can help.  

photo by asaavedra32 / cc by